When I was first introduced to Downton Abbey I
spent an entire day watching episodes until I was thinking in a British accent and
staring at my empty bottle of wine wondering where my bell was to call up Mr.
Carson to fetch me another. From the moment Maggie Smith’s character, Countess
Violet Crawley, in the very first episode, uttered the words, “What are
week-ends?” I knew I was hooked. While many of us are still trying to cope with
the loss of Mary and Matthew’s love scenes, Winterthur Museum, owned by the du
Pont family, has managed to bring a bit of our love for the iconic show to
their historic home in Delaware. 
Beginning March 1, 2014, forty of
the best fashion moments from Downton will be on display at Winterthur. While the styles are not completely historically
accurate it is interesting to view the contrasts between styles of the early 20th
century with their modern influences. The creators of Downton actually took
vintage fragments of garments and incorporated them with new fabric in order to
create the styles seen on the show. As a historian the exhibit offers a chance
to contrast American High Society to the Downton way of life. English
aristocracy of the 1920’s and 30’s seemed to have an aversion to new technology
and ways of life, and this is a constant theme in the show as Mrs. Patmore, the
cook, continues to argue that she likes the way things are and she does not appreciate
the new technology bugging her in the kitchen. The opposite was true for the du
Pont family as modernity and comfort were central in the creation of Winterthur
during the same time period. Unlike Downton, Winterthur boasted an elevator and
telephones as well as refrigerators and a heated swimming pool. In addition,
the exhibit will also host a number of costumes worn by the staff at Downton as
well as the staff at Winterthur to see how each were an integral part of the
families lives.
The fashion on display at
Winterthur ranges from breakfast attire, to staff outfits, to evening wear.
There will also be the more memorable looks such as Lady Sybil Crawley’s blue
harem outfit, and Matthew Crawley’s tweeds and that adorable jeff cap. I mean
is there anything better than a nice Matthew outfit? I digress on the outfits;
yet if this all sounds as wonderful to you as it does to me then visiting
Winterthur should be your next stop in learning more about the early 20th
century fashion and lifestyle. Lastly, if you have been living in a bubble and
have no idea what I am talking about I suggest you go buy a bottle of wine
(priorities first), and find Downton
Abbey pronto in order to view a very successful drama on English Society during
the post-Edwardian era.
For more information please visit the Winterthur website
No comments:
Post a Comment